The Law Offices of Steve Gibbins represents clients in cases of medical malpractice throughout Texas, including the Austin, Dallas and Houston areas.
Malpractice is another word for negligence, meaning that an individual did not live up to the standards expected of similar professionals in the same circumstances. When the negligence causes medical harm, a lawsuit may be filed to recover for the damages suffered by the victim as a result. We represent plaintiffs injured due to:
Misdiagnosis occurs when a doctor incorrectly diagnoses a patient's medical problems, delays diagnosis, or fails to diagnose a problem at all. This can be caused by either the doctor's failure to notice the health issue or to take the proper procedures to discover it.
Surgical errors occur when a doctor operates on the wrong body part, causes injuries during a procedure, delays or prolongs surgery, or uses unsanitary surgical tools. Surgical errors can be minor, or they can cause long lasting or even permanent damage to the patient.
Prescription Drug and Pharmaceutical Errors
Prescription drug errors harm over 1.5 million people each year, and can potentially lead to severe injuries or death. Doctors err by prescribing conflicting medications, wrong medications, incorrect dosages, or medications to which a patient is allergic. Pharmaceutical errors occur when a pharmacist incorrectly reads or records a prescription and then distributes it to a patient. When a doctor prescribes or a pharmacy or hospital dispenses medications which cause the patient harm, the doctor or pharmacy may be liable for malpractice.
Birth injuries are a form of medical malpractice arising when a doctor mishandles a baby or fetus, before, during, or immediately after birth, or fails to notice a complication during birth or pregnancy. Birth injuries can range from mild to severe, and can include:
- Forceps injuries - which can cause traumatic brain injuries
- Cerebral palsy - a form of paralysis often caused by brain injury during birth, characterized by difficulty controlling muscles
- Perinatal asphyxia (prenatal) - deprivation of oxygen to the baby's brain often caused by a drop in the mother's blood pressure or interference with blood flow to the baby's brain during birth, such as when the umbilical cord becomes wrapped around the baby's neck.
- Brachial Palsy or Erb's Palsy - nerves from the spinal cord through the infant's arm become damaged, resulting in reduced mobility, or partial or complete paralysis of the arm
- Preeclampsia - the mother develops high blood pressure during the pregnancy and has high amounts of protein in her urine causing premature birth, low birth weight, or even death of the baby and mother
- Wrongful death
Seek Experienced Representation
Our office understands that injuries can be especially traumatic when they are caused by the person or institution in charge of your health. Whether you have suffered a misdiagnosis, surgical error, prescription error, or injury to your baby, our trained legal professionals can help. Contact the Law Offices of Steve Gibbins today for a free initial consultation.