Filing an Austin Automobile Accident Lawsuit
When a settlement for your automobile accident injury does not seem possible, it may be in your best interest to file a lawsuit. This is usually a last resort because litigation can be time-consuming and costly.
An automobile accident attorney in Austin can protect your interests and fight for you to get the compensation you deserve through a lawsuit or intense settlement negotiations.
A general overview of an automobile accident lawsuit in Austin
The basic process of an accident lawsuit begins when your lawyer files a claim with the court. Then the following process occurs:
- Discovery – The law allows the insurance company to discover evidence surrounding your claim. You will have to answer many questions under oath during this process. Your Austin automobile accident attorneys and you will have to produce medical bills and other documents to support your case.
- Depositions – The lawyer from the insurance company asks you questions under oath, and a court reporter documents the proceeding. You may be subject to intense questioning about your injuries, the accident, and your medical history.
- Motion hearings – The insurance company exhausts every opportunity to present motions and have hearings about motions presented before the court. Some are more germane to your case than others, but your Austin auto accident attorneys must attend all of them.
- Mediation – Many courts require those filing automobile accident lawsuits to mediate or arbitrate before they go to litigation. You should be careful when the courts ask you to arbitrate your case because some arbitration is a binding procedure where a neutral third party hears your case and decides the outcome.
- Trial – If you cannot settle your case, six to twelve strangers will be responsible for deciding the outcome of your claim. The court sets trial dates to fit its calendar. Rescheduling the proceedings further lengthens the process.
Time is of the essence. In Texas, the statute of limitations during which you can file a lawsuit is two years from the time of your injury. Do not hesitate to contact skilled, experienced attorneys to handle your automobile accident lawsuit.
Discuss an Automobile Accident Injury in Austin
If you have been in a car accident in Austin, Houston, Dallas or anywhere else in Texas, a lawsuit can take a long time to reach a conclusion. Professional help from the Law Offices of Steven A. Gibbins shows the insurance company that you are serious about fighting for the compensation you deserve.